Monday 25 March 2013

On the WorkBench #2: Sumothay, Prior Warrior

Hello everyone! Another edition of On the WorkBench! 



This time we will be talking about "Sumothay, Prior Warrior" a 54mm scale miniature by Raúl Garcia Latorre. The owner of the company Enigma Miniatures from Spain.

I bought this mini second hand along with Horthak from Rafael García Marín, also known as Volomir(check out his blog at the left!) This will be my first time painting a 54 mm miniature.

I forgot to take some photos of the mini in the blister and un-prepped, so here are the first photos, primed and well:



The mini came with a few casting failures, mould lines and flash. But nothing major, although with his banner there were two of the left flag, but I won't be using it in clear view so that doesn't really matter.


As you can see above I used the banners on the ground along with some rubble sculpted with Milliput excess I had left from prepping other minis and bases and normal garden soil.

Like I said before this will be my first time painting a 54 mm and damn these are big in comparison with what I'm familiar with! And heavy this metal giant is! Now I understand Rafa's concerns about the postage ;)

A scale comparison between the 54 mm Sumothay and GW's 28 mm Sigvald(still WIP, but got bored on him):



I've started slapping on some basecolours on him. It's quite a hard mini to really determine a colourscheme on, due to all those different clothes and armour he wears being a wandering warrior like Aragorn from the Lord of the Rings. 

I think it will be a fun challenge! I'll probably be using a lot of different tones of brown and green and a couple of yellows.






These last two photos show a bit the idea I have behind this figure and base, like he's standing at the edge of the remains of a battlefield, gazing into the distance.



See ya around and keep painting! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment